- SWCD Assistance
- SWCD Information & Education
- Water Quality Management Plan Program
- Flood Control Programs
- Poultry WQMP Program
- Water Supply Enhancement Program
- Rio Grande Carrizo Cane Eradication Program
- Texas Nonpoint Source Management Program
- Total Maximum Daily Load Program
- Watershed Protection Plan Program
- Environmental Data Quality Management
- Coastal Nonpoint Source Pollution Control Program
- Invasive Species
- Water Quality Complaint Resolution
- State Grants
- Agency Reports
- About Us
- Media & Press
- Contact Us
You are here
Poultry WQMP Program
In 2001, the 77th Legislature amended the Texas Water Code to require all persons who own or operate a poultry facility to implement and maintain a Water Quality Management Plan that is certified by the State Soil and Water Conservation Board. The law requires poultry farms to have a certified WQMP prior to placing birds on the farm.
What is a WQMP?
A water quality management plan (WQMP) is a site-specific document indicating when, where, and how to implement conservation practices following standards in the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service Field Office Technical Guide. These plans are tailored to each landowner's conservation needs and management goals while ensuring adherence to state water quality laws.
View an example poultry WQMP.
Best Management Practices
Poultry growers in 52 counties in Texas have received technical and/or financial assistance from the Texas State Soil and Water Conservation Board, through local soil and water conservation districts, to implement practices to abate non-point source pollution from their facilities. Some of those practices include: incinerators, composters, and freezers for mortality management, waste storage facilities for manure management, and nutrient management plans for proper land application of manure as fertilizer.
Poultry Waste Storage Facility
For More Information:
- Example Poultry WQMP (PDF)
- Important State Laws Affecting Texas Poutlry Producers (PDF)
- Supplemental Guidance to Water Quality Management Plans for All Dry-Litter Poultry Operations (PDF)
- Poultry Rules (PDF)
- WQMP Rules (PDF)
- Poultry WQMP Information (PDF)
- Senate Bill 1339 (PDF)
- Burial of Catastrophic Mortality from Poultry Operations - Aug 2016 (PDF)
- Impacts of Poultry Litter Application to Cropland and Rangeland Watersheds
- Mortality Composting Regulations for Animal Feeding Operations (PDF)
- Poultry Composting Job Sheet (PDF)
- Odor Control Plan (PDF)
- Senate Bill 1693 Summary (PDF)
- Litter Storage Brochure (PDF)
For additional information call the TSSWCB Poultry Program at 936-462-7020, or send an e-mail to poultry [at] tsswcb.texas.gov.
Note On Viewing Portable Document Format (PDF) documents
To view the PDF document listed on this page you will need to have Adobe Acrobat® Reader installed on your computer. The software is available as a free download from the Adobe website.